Saturday, May 1, 2010

Aisle in Wal-Mart

Yesterday I went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart.  It was a typical trip. I have my regular routine.  Stop at the vegetables first and then move on to the meat department.  I have the store aisles memorized and plan my grocery list accordingly.  Mother's Day is approaching and I thought I would go to the card aisle to purchase a card for my sister, Pam.  She has serious health concerns and I promised myself to send her some kind of  card every two weeks.  So, I moved to the card section.  I approached the value cards, then the birthday cards and then the seasonal Mother's Day section.  As I started to thumb through the cards, my heart began to ache and tears  came to my eyes.  I could not stop the steady stream of tears flowing down my cheeks.  I moved to a different aisle trying to gain my composure.  It is not every day that you see someone falling apart in the card section of Wal-Mart.  The truth is that my  mom died last year and this is the first Mother's Day without her.  Sometimes emotions  and heart ache surface at the most unusual  times.  No matter how much time passes  or how old a person becomes the emptiness in our heart may become smaller but it really doesn't leave.  I miss my   Mom!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you are missing your mom. Holidays always seem to be when you miss loved one's the most. I've had my fair share of falling apart in public places. I hope you have a great mother's day!

    ReplyDelete